Subject: [bug#45299] [PATCH] maint: Require Guile >= 2.2.6.

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 13:06:46 -0800

On 2020-12-18, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Debian 10 (the current release) has guile-2.2.4

> Hmm OK.  Should it hold us back, though?

Debian 10 doesn't have many of the guile-* build dependencies, so I
would not recommend the current Debian stable release block bumping the
minimum guile 2.2 version for guix...

> 2.2.6 was released in June 2019.

Debian bullseye (the testing branch) currently has guile-2.2 at 2.2.7:

  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/guile-2.2

Debian bullseye is likely to become Debian stable mid-2021, starting to
freeze in early 2021.

It should have all the dependencies for building guix against guile-2.2,
and *almost* all for building guix against guile-3.0...

> Also, I expect most users to either use Vagrant’s brand new ‘guix’
> package or to use our binary tarball.

The guix package may not make it out of Debian experimental any time
soon... unless I switch it to use guile-2.2 (and track down the
corresponding test suite failures) or the guile-gnutls test suite issues
with guile-3.0 get fixed.

live well,
  vagrant