Subject: Re: bug#45236: Xboard doesn't work.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 13:15:04 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 12:26, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I think this is not about you but Xboard game is not working for so long, I
>> wait until update but is not coming.
>
> What do you mean by “not working”?  I’ve tried:
>
>   guix environment --ad-hoc xboard -- xboard
>
> and it spawns what looks like a “working” XBoard to me (that’s with
> commit 3d85c3ec652feb22824f355538b51e6955ded361 as reported by ‘guix
> describe’).

Even if the Data Service says that no substitute are available:

<https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/xboard/output-history>

all these commits f4450e8c 27866b7c af1225a3 b5ed51bd 48cccf06 8ab70bae
9bc516ba 35c43fcd c81457a5 aebba13c 747953c4 e7ce4ef9 4730878b 6d15516d
0ed75a5f 33b59c1a build, i.e., all the xboard 4.9.1 are buildable.

However, then trying I get:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
xboard: Erreur lors de l'écriture dans le programme d'échecs Premier: Relais brisé (pipe)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and a crash.  I do not know if it comes from an user config of xboard (I
never use it) or a Guix config of the package or something broken
upstream.

Pablo, could you precise what you mean by “not working for so long”?
And what do you mean by “wait until update”?  What “update” means here?

All the best,
simon