Subject: bug#45212: org-capture user-error: Abort

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 13:46:15 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> [2020-12-13 11:21]:
> Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > * [email-masked] <[email-masked]> [2020-12-12 23:19]:
> >> Emacs fires "user-error: Abort" after pressing "q" to abort org-capture.
> >
> > Those are error messages invented by programmers who never had any
> > project supervisor who thinks of users.
> 
> (user-error "Action aborted") only prints "Action aborted".

Function is used wrongly. People do read source code.

(user-error FORMAT &rest ARGS)

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 24.

Signal a user error, making a message by passing ARGS to ‘format-message’.
This is like ‘error’ except that a user error (or "pilot error") comes
from an incorrect manipulation by the user, not from an actual problem.
In contrast with other errors, user errors normally do not cause
entry to the debugger, even when ‘debug-on-error’ is non-nil.
This can be overridden by ‘debug-ignored-errors’.

Did user incorrectly manipulated anything? I don't think so. 

There was definitely good intention to glue the things together and
make things function. But it was not made from viewpoint that software
will be used by people, maybe people read source code which is what we
want. Under certain condition that will come up as actual error, see
debug-ignored-errors.

Why tell to user that it was user error when it was not? It was one of
options.

Focus on technicality that causes the problem which does not fit
reasonably into human meanings. We like meanings, that is why we want
to fit meanings where they belong. Systems are not enough meaningful.

I can love my bicycle as I want, but it may not be usable by other
people due to all idiosyncratic enhancements I have made to it.

Jean