Subject: bug#45205: GNU Automake - testsuite failures on Solaris

From: Bogdan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 18:40:13 +0200

Hi.

  Failures in lex/yacc/C++ tests should be fixed now with the patch in 
my previous mail.
  I'm afraid the remaining test failures may indeed point to an actual 
bug in Automake, not just in tests.

  Regarding failures in tests:
- subpkg,
- subpkg2,
- subpkg-yacc,
as far as I've investigated, the problem is that $(distdir) = 
$(top_distdir) in a subpackage while this apparently should never be 
the case. This makes the file checks:

	test ! -f $(distdir)/LDADD.c
	test -f $(top_distdir)/LDADD.c

fail for the obvious reason - if the directory is the same, then 
either the file exists, or it doesn't, so one of the tests will always 
fail.
  No idea why the directories are the same, though.

  As for fn99subdir: make distcheck fails, because the 'cnfsubdir' dir 
doesn't exist in the distribution directory/package while it 
apparently should. No idea why the directory is not packaged, but at 
lease I know it's not a problem of e.g. the length of the path (what I 
suspected earlier).

  As for subpkg3: the subpkg directory exists, but doesn't contain 
'configure'. Also no idea why.

  There must be something system-specific, obviously, that makes 
Automake behave not the way it's supposed to. Sure, it can also be a 
problem in the tests themselves, but I don't see why they would 
succeed on a Linux and fail on a Solaris/SunOS.

-- 
Regards - Bogdan ('bogdro') D.                 (GNU/Linux & FreeDOS)
X86 assembly (DOS, GNU/Linux):    http://bogdro.evai.pl/index-en.php
Soft(EN): http://bogdro.evai.pl/soft  http://bogdro.evai.pl/soft4asm
www.Xiph.org  www.TorProject.org  www.LibreOffice.org  www.GnuPG.org