Subject: Re: bug#45200: [PATCH] Force Glibc to free the memory freed

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 08:39:48 +0100

> Well, I didn't send the patches for my only benefit, but for benefit
 > of others people. The new ELisp function is something that not too
 > many people would benefit from, and I mean, including those who
 > disable GC.

Does anyone really disable GC and get away with it?

 > That is because it would be an opt-in feature, which you
 > need to know about to enable it, and not many will ever find out about
 > it.

I wouldn't be afraid of that.  In the past months we had a sufficient
number of candidates caring about the memory consumption of their Emacs
sessions.  An opt-out feature OTOH would get us soon a couple of people
who decide that your feature is responsible for some new slowness and
recommend to throw it out.  So making this an opt-in feature and at the
same time giving some recommendations of what users can do when they
detect that their sessions consumes more memory than expected would be a
finely balanced solution IMO.

martin