Subject: bug#4520: downcasing function arguments by default not appropriate in multi-tty

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:42:13 +0200

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 17:27, Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Changing a buffer's contents based on the font is use is not appropriate
> since we have multi-tty, the same buffer can be shown simultaneously in
> an X11 frame and a tty frame, and the properties of the font used in the
> X11 frame can be very different from the ones used in a tty frame.

Well, when the argument downcasing was implemented multi-tty wasn't in
Emacs, so it's no wonder we didn't think of that.

> So changing the buffer content _by_default_ is not a good idea.
> AFAIK we do not do such a thing anywhere else in emacs.

In the patch I'm planning to commit for #4510 I proposed

(defcustom help-downcase-arguments
  (and (face-differs-from-default-p 'help-argument-name) t)
  ...)

but it's just as easy to initialize it to nil. It's an interface
change, but not too serious; a note on NEWS will suffice, IMO. I'll
adjust my patch.

    Juanma