Subject: Re: bug#45197: Saving customizations makes ~/.config/emacs/init (no .el extension)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:11:49 +0100

tsuucat <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is because user-init-file is set to “/tmp/test-home/.config/emacs/init”.

This was part of:

    Add early init file, stop package-initialize insertion
    
    Discussion on emacs-devel leading up to this change (approximately 150
    messages):
    
    - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-08/msg00154.html
    - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-08/msg00433.html
    - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-09/msg00023.html
    - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-09/msg00599.html
    - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-10/msg00332.html

I did not read those 150 messages, and this code is uncommented in
startup.el:

     (lambda ()
       (expand-file-name
        "init"
        startup-init-directory))

Does anybody know whether this is just a typo?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no