Subject: Re: bug#45184: 26.1; Private Unicode plains 15 and 16 seem not supported

From: [email-masked] (Janusz S. Bień)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 11:29:07 +0100

On Sat, Dec 12 2020 at 12:06 +02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: [email-masked] (Janusz S. Bień)

[...]

>> > Any evidence that such a limitation exists and/or where does it
>> > happen?
>> 
>> The chacters are not displayed despite the fact that the appropriate
>> font is selected explicitely.
>
> I meant evidence that the root cause of this is some limitation on the
> range of Unicode characters.  There's no dispute about the facts, but
> I'm not aware of any limitation of the kind that you suggested.

You are right, perhaps I jumped to a wrong conclusion, but it seemed to
me the simplest explanatation. Perhaps my bug report (I still think it
is a bug) should be renamed to "Emacs doesn't find font for some
characters".

> Also, please describe in detail how you selected the font in question.
> I don't think you told that in your original report.

I didn't told because I expected the font to be found automatically.

In an additional experiment I just used `S-down-mouse-1’ and selected
the font from the list.

Please note that vim (installed especially for testing) finds the font
automatically and displays the characters correctly.

Janusz

-- 
             ,   
Janusz S. Bien
emeryt (emeritus)
https://sites.google.com/view/jsbien