Subject: 27.1; Access to invoking top level command in minibuffer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 15:20:34 +0100

Hello,

For command based settings it would be nice to be able to have
access to the top level command from which the current minibuffer
session was invoked from. This should also work with multiple minibuffer
invokations during a command. Using `minibuffer-setup-hook' to save
`real-this-command' does not work, for example with:

```elisp
(defun example-command ()
   (interactive)
   (read-string "Example: ")
   (message "%s" real-this-command))
```

`real-this-command' will be `exit-minibuffer' after the `read-string' so 
any minibuffer invokation within that command afterwards will no longer 
know about `example-command'.

The described issue is problem for completion frameworks. The popular 
Ivy(https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/) package from GNU ELPA does use 
the `:caller` argument passed to `ivy-read` to circumvent this. With 
Selectrum(https://github.com/raxod502/selectrum/) we are trying to find 
a built-in way to handle this.

     Clemens

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, 
cairo version 1.15.10)
  of 2020-08-20 built on clemera
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
  'configure --with-modules --with-json --with-cairo'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44091 12180)
  (symbols 48 6003 1)
  (strings 32 15452 1784)
  (string-bytes 1 506298)
  (vectors 16 9257)
  (vector-slots 8 124488 12266)
  (floats 8 19 43)
  (intervals 56 183 0)
  (buffers 1000 11))