Subject: Re: bug#45147: Org-like cycling in outline-minor-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 15:10:37 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 23:12:46 +0300
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> +(defcustom describe-bindings-after-hook '(describe-bindings-outline)
> +  "Hook run at the end of `describe-bindings'."
> +  :type 'hook
> +  :options '(describe-bindings-outline)
> +  :group 'help
> +  :version "28.1")

What's the rationale for populating the hook by default?  That's not
what we normally do: hooks are for Lisp programs to use, not for the
core functionality to invoke itself.

> +(defun describe-bindings-outline ()
> +  "Hook to enable outlines in the output buffer of `describe-bindings'."

First, this is not a hook.

And second, if we want a feature whereby the buffer describing
bindings could be put in Outline mode, why not offer a simple option
for users to customize, not a hook for users to tweak?  Once again,
having user options that accept only function values is
user-unfriendly.

Thanks.