Subject: bug#45127: 28.0.50; wdired + dired-hide-details-mode toggling?

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 22:34:16 +0100

Hello,

My wishlist proposal is: may we allow to toggle
`dired-hide-details-mode' in a wdired buffer (currently an error is
signaled in this case)?  I ask because (1) seems this would work out of
the box, and (2) it may be useful, e.g. because I started with hidden
details, already have performed some changes, and see that I need to
change something in the details also.  Or I have long filenames and thus
want to hide details although I have already switched to wdired.

Anyway, the implementation of d-h-details-mode only seems to toggle some
invisibility spec, and thus I expect no problems (will try it out
privately in the meantime).

I guess we would need a new key for it, since the binding for toggling,
"(", is bound to self-insert-command in a wdired buffer.  C-c ( maybe?

TIA,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 20, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.23, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-12-08 built on drachen
Repository revision: 9965fc635f54cabc9da7a234356eeed4c1fc7257
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid