Subject: Re: bug#45109: GNOME: unable to change alert "beep" sound since staging merge

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 19:20:27 -0500

Hi Marius,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skriver:
>
>> Since the recent merge of the 'staging' branch into 'master' on 28 Nov
>> 2020, I'm no longer able to configure the alert sound in GNOME.  That's
>> a pity, since I find the default "drip" sound extremely unpleasant.
>
> There were not a lot of GNOME-related changes in that merge.  From a
> quick glance of...
>
>   git shortlog --format='%h %s' --no-merges -n fe5c9051cc..e827f40479
>
> ...a likely culprit is:
>
>   62df18d305 gnu: dconf: Update to 0.36.0.
>
> Can you check if reverting it makes a difference?

Reverting that update does seem to have fixed the problem.  I've been
running my Guix system with dconf-0.34 since you made this suggestion
last December, and the problem where I'm *unable* to change my GNOME
alert sound has never happened since.  (It still occasionally resets to
the default "drip" alert sound, as I noted in my original report, but at
least I can change it back easily).

I will soon switch back to dconf-0.36 to see if the problem returns.

     Thanks,
       Mark