Subject: [bug#45102] [PATCH 0/4] Making fewer 'stat' calls during startup

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 14:50:08 +0100

Hey Ludo,

> The semantic difference should be invisible to users: their modules
> are still visible and usable in manifests, in ‘guix repl’, etc.; they
> just cannot take precedence over modules from Guile and from the
> channels.  For instance, one cannot define a (gnu packages base)
> module or (ice-9 rdelim), drop it in $GUILE_LOAD_PATH, and have that
> module picked up in lieu of the original one.  I think that’s a
> reasonable tradeoff.

I think that's reasonable too. I tested it locally and have the
following command:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
strace -c -e stat,openat ./pre-inst-env guix
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

drop from 1671 calls to 1017 calls, which is nice.

The patchset looks good to me.

Thanks,

Mathieu