Subject: Re: bug#451: 23.0.60; x-gtk-map-stock destroys match data

From: Nick Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:07:54 +1200

> > I don't think that's right.  The problem goes away if I remove the tool bar.
> > If I do:
> > (string-match "ox" "The quick lazy fox jumped")
> > in the *scratch* buffer then
> > (match-beginning 0)
> > (match-end 0)
> > give me false values immediately afterwards.

> What do you mean "immediately afterwards"?  If you get back to the
> toplevel in the mean time, the "immediately" actually runs a crapload of
> code.  I.e. it's anything but "immediate".  Your expectation is
> just wrong.

I meam using C-x C-e.  It looks like you are indeed right and that 
match-beginning and match-end can only be used programmatically.  I was
using edebug and getting strange values evaluating them (manually).  I
thought I had done that before - but clearly not.

Sorry but I don't know how to close the bug report.

-- 
Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob