Subject: Re: bug#45098: 28.0.50; gnu-elpa: if user says `no' to install package, it aborts the previous function invoked

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 18:51:45 -0500

> Nagging user to install package does not tell to user that GNU ELPA
> exists even.

The purpose is not to advertise the archive itself, but the features
provided by the packages it hosts.

> - many users will not know what is this dialogue about. 

Yes, it's quite dry and deserves a fair bit of work to make it more
user-friendly.

> - user will not know that package is supposed to come from Internet
>   and those without Internet or in local network will be asked and
>   then action cannot be performed. Do not assume that many people have
>   Internet. GNU/Linux is installed on plethora of computers where
>   students, professors, teachers use it without direct Internet.
>   Make a check if Internet is available, then ask the user.

Yes and no: Emacs shouldn't initiate a network connection without an
explicit request from the user, so we have to ask first.

But you're quite right that the question should be more explicit about
where the package will be fetched.

I'd welcome help with all this UI-side of the package.

        Stefan