Subject: bug#45084: so-long mode vs. dired-view-file

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 00:30:29 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > So so-long mode and whatever dired-view-file calls should somehow make
  > > a deal not to mess up "q".

  > It's true that, by default, so-long changing the major mode is going
  > to cause key bindings for the original mode to not be available.

dired-view-file does something quite unusual: it visits a file and puts
it in View mode.

I think so-long needs to make a special case for View mode.
For instance, if View mode is in effect, it could (1) turn off View mode,
(2) switch modes however it does, then (3) reenable View mode.
 
-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)