Subject: Re: bug#45072: 28.0.50; Emacs switches other buffer back uncontrollably, if other window's buffer is changed by user during minibuffer editing

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 17:13:19 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 00:33:05 -0500
> 
>   > My recommendation is not to "abuse" the recursive editing; the ELisp
>   > manual rightfully warns against that, albeit indirectly.
> 
> Should we make this warning more direct
> so that people notice it more?

The user manual has this in the section about recursive editing:

     In general, we try to minimize the use of recursive editing levels in
  GNU Emacs.  This is because they constrain you to go back in a
  particular order—from the innermost level toward the top level.  When
  possible, we present different activities in separate buffers so that
  you can switch between them as you please.  Some commands switch to a
  new major mode which provides a command to switch back.  These
  approaches give you more flexibility to go back to unfinished tasks in
  the order you choose.

Suggestions to add to this text something more direct are welcome.