Subject: Re: bug#45072: 28.0.50; Emacs switches other buffer back uncontrollably, if other window's buffer is changed by user during minibuffer editing

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 19:11:49 +0200

>> That's why Lisp code should call `quit-restore-window' instead of
 >> `quit-window'.
 >
 > I suspect the docstring of the other functions should point to it if we
 > want this to have any uptake.

I would have given up on that idea at the latest when `quit-window-hook'
was added.

 > Maybe we should begin with adding
 >
 >      (declare (interactive-only quit-restore-window))
 >
 > to `quit-window` (adding it to `bury-buffer` risks us drowning under
 > a deluge of warnings)?

At the time people call `quit-window' and/or `bury-buffer' they are only
occupied with how to get rid of one of these ASAP.  When they find out
that they overdid things, they usually try to restore some older window
configuration.  These habits will never die.

martin