Subject: Re: bug#45068: [PATCH] Modus themes 1.2.0

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 18:41:19 +0000

Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:

> As noted earlier, please find attached the patch that upgrades the
> themes to their newest version 1.2.0.  I tested it with Basil's latest
> patch for 'require-theme', though it still works with the variant of
> that function currently in trunk.

Thanks, they're looking good!  Just a couple of nits from me below.

> For your convenience, I also attach a note that I intend to post on
> emacs-devel: it warns about the minor backward-incompatible refactoring
> of some symbols and offers an overview of what is now available.

> +Before you load a theme, it is necessary to require the main library:
>  
>  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> +(require 'modus-themes)
>  #+end_src

Is this always true?  Because M-x load-theme RET
modus-{operandi,vivendi} RET works fine here with your patch, and users
can set variables even before they're defined - defvar and defcustom
only change the symbol's value if it's unbound.

Maybe this node should clarify which users/setups/use-cases this applies
to?

Similarly with other suggestions below like this one:

     (require 'modus-themes)
     (require 'modus-operandi-theme)
     (require 'modus-vivendi-theme)

which surely won't work with the built-in themes.

> ++ Ideas and user feedback :: Aaron Jensen, Adam Spiers, Adrian Manea,
> +  Alex Griffin, Alex Peitsinis, Alexey Shmalko, Alok Singh, Anders
> +  Johansson, André Alexandre Gomes, Arif Rezai, Basil L. Contovounesios,
                                                          ^^
Hopefully Org's Texinfo export can one day be taught that this is not
the end of a sentence ;).

> +(require 'cl-lib)

In theory this should be wrapped in eval-when-compile, but it doesn't
make a difference for now since built-in themes are not byte-compiled.

> +(deftheme modus-vivendi
> +  "Accessible and customizable light theme (WCAG AAA standard).
                                  ^^^^^
                                  dark

Thanks,

-- 
Basil