Subject: Re: [bug#45039] [PATCH] Remove duplicate path declaration

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 14:13:37 -0500

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:51:37AM +0100, Holger Peters wrote:
> * doc/guix.texi: Fixup path declaration.

>  @example
> -GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.config/guix/current/etc/profile"
> +GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.config/guix/current"
>  . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
>  @end example

Thanks! That example is definitely not right...

However, it doesn't seem right to me either that GUIX_PROFILE should
point to '~/.config/guix/current/etc/profile'. That profile won't
contain anything useful related to packages the user installs. Compare
it to the contents of '~/.guix-profile/etc/profile' to see what I mean.

I alo was curious about the preceding paragraph, which states "Unless
you’re on Guix System, the first time you run guix pull, be sure to
follow the hint that the command prints [...]". I re-installed Guix on a
Debian system and it prints this instead:

------
hint: Consider setting the necessary environment variables by running:

     GUIX_PROFILE="/root/.guix-profile"
     . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

Alternately, see `guix package --search-paths -p "/root/.guix-profile"'.
------

CC-ing Ludovic (who wrote this section) for clarification.