Subject: bug#45033: 28.0.50; New option gnus-registery-register-all-p

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 11:11:12 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> This patch introduces a new customization option,
> `gnus-registry-register-all-p', which, when nil, won't create database
> entries automatically. The registry will only contain entries that the
> user (or other packages) has created manually. If the user isn't using
> automatic splitting, this can provide a significant speedup for general
> Gnus usage.

Makes sense to me.  However, the option shouldn't have a name ending in
-p -- that's for predicate functions only.  `gnus-registry-register-all'
would be a better name.

> Discussions on gnus.general lead me to believe that universal splitting
> isn't used all that often, and that most users are very surprised to
> find that they have a 50MB registry file on disk. Therefore I've
> defaulted this option to nil, which is a change from previous behavior.
> It would be perfectly easy to default to t if this seems inappropriate.

I think defaulting it to t makes more sense (besides being more
backwards-compatible) -- the registry isn't on by default, after all.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no