Subject: Re: bug#45033: 28.0.50; New option gnus-registery-register-all-p

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 09:17:43 -0800

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> This patch introduces a new customization option,
>>> `gnus-registry-register-all-p', which, when nil, won't create database
>>> entries automatically. The registry will only contain entries that the
>>> user (or other packages) has created manually. If the user isn't using
>>> automatic splitting, this can provide a significant speedup for general
>>> Gnus usage.
>>
>> Makes sense to me.  However, the option shouldn't have a name ending in
>> -p -- that's for predicate functions only.  `gnus-registry-register-all'
>> would be a better name.
>
> Ah, I hesitated about that. Thanks.
>
>>> Discussions on gnus.general lead me to believe that universal splitting
>>> isn't used all that often, and that most users are very surprised to
>>> find that they have a 50MB registry file on disk. Therefore I've
>>> defaulted this option to nil, which is a change from previous behavior.
>>> It would be perfectly easy to default to t if this seems inappropriate.
>>
>> I think defaulting it to t makes more sense (besides being more
>> backwards-compatible) -- the registry isn't on by default, after all.
>
> Makes sense. Here's a new version of the patch with option name edited
> and docs adjusted.

If there aren't any more comments on this, I'll go ahead and push?