Subject: bug#45017: asdf-build-system packages have priority over user ones

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 18:30:14 +0100

Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The Lisp systems of sbcl-* and ecl-* packages installed in a profile are
> supposed to be already compiled and immutable, so recompiling them
> anyway would require tweaking the ASDF configuration from inside SBCL to
> remove the output translations for these systems.
> When doing development, it might be more convenient to just use the
> sources or source packages of every system that has to be recompiled.

I think entering the following expressions just after starting SBCL will
allow development mixing libraries from user directories and from Guix
profiles:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(require :asdf)
(asdf:clear-output-translations)
(asdf:initialize-output-translations
 '(:output-translations
   :enable-user-cache
   :ignore-inherited-configuration))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

However with this configuration, the pre-compiled files in
"/gnu/store/..." will not be used at all; everything will be compiled
again if necessary and put in the user cache in ".cache/common-lisp/...".