Subject: Re: [mumi] 44964 cannot be displayed

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 01:06:52 +0530

> For some reason “Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>” is
> not split up into name and address parts but remains a single string.

I have fixed this bug in the latest guile-email master, and added
tests to prevent regression. See
https://git.systemreboot.net/guile-email/commit/?id=37e245539bc9e27db35731e7b517cdde397834e2
and
https://git.systemreboot.net/guile-email/commit/?id=907a5d678c58eff653133df441aeecd3b7025e37

I thought “Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>” was an
invalid email address due to the period character, but apparently it is
supported by the obsolete addressing specification of RFC5322 (see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-4). I hadn't implemented the
obsolete parts of the specification until now.

> Mumi commit 6fd49e9341d5673b70edfb333a4e5fa0a44128d2 works around this
> problem, which I suspect might be a bug in guile-email.

guile-email should guarantee the parsed From header is an alist of the
appropriate form. So, I vote for reverting this commit, thus reducing
complexity on mumi's end. But, I understand that guile-email is not yet
doing a great job of providing these strong guarantees.

Cheers!