Subject: Re: [bug#45003] [PATCH] gnu: poetry: Fix a problem with a dependency.

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 08:35:57 +0100

*Oups*, I sent my message to quickly…

Excerpts from Marius Bakke's message of December 3, 2020 10:47 pm:
> Updating packaging alone is also a staging-level change, so I did not
> dig much further.  But there is some room for improvement here.  Maybe
> by (setenv "PYTHONPATH" (string-append ".:" (getenv "PYTHONPATH"))) ?

Actually, I noticed some weird things when using Poetry, that might be
related to PYTHONPATH. Even if it was installed in its own profile, it
was using python packages installed outside of it. Can't remember for
sure, but I think it was `virtualenv`.
I had to unset my PYTHONPATH to make it use the ones installed in the profile.
But, now that the versions are the same in the default profile and in
this dedicated Poetry profile, everything seems to be working just fine.

> I also wonder whether pytest needs to propagate packaging at all, or if
> wrapping is enough.  Do you know how common it is to "import pytest" or
> "from pytest import foo", and whether those code paths would need
> 'packaging'?

Usually, one would only do this in the test suite, or in a package that
extends pytest behaviour. At least it's what I see from the 450,942 results
I've found on Github. But I have to confess that I did not go through
all of them! ^_^'

Regards

-- 
Tanguy