Subject: Re: [bug#45000] [PATCH 0/9] Build git-annex with assistant webapp enabled

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 09:34:05 -0500

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Frederickson <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 12/3/20 3:52 PM, Timothy Sample wrote
>> With respect to the patches, I managed to apply them all, build all of
>> the packages, and run the assistant, so that’s good!  However, most of
>> the packages are more recent then the versions given in the Stackage LTS
>> Haskell 14.27 list <https://www.stackage.org/lts-14.27>, which we follow
>> to maintain a consistent package set.  Please see
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2020-12/msg00086.html>
>> for an explanation.  (The short version is that the problem is not
>> really your fault but rather the fault of our tools suggesting at every
>> turn to do the wrong thing.)  All of the packages except ghc-hjsmin and
>> ghc-cryptonite-conduit are too recent
>> Would you mind sending an updated patch set with the LTS Haskell
>> 14.27
>> versions?  As of recently, if you run “guix lint” on Haskell packages it
>> will warn you if the version is wrong and suggest the correct version.
>
> Oh, oops! Thanks for letting me know. I used the Hackage importer, but
> I suppose using the Stackage importer would've been a better starting
> point?

Yup!  The Stackage importer will do the right thing.

> Anyway, I can make these changes, but... I noticed the thread you
> linked to about adding hledger-web includes some of the same
> dependencies! Would you suggest that I just go ahead and fix my patch
> series, and we'll deal with any conflicts as they come up?

I think that makes sense.  There should be no big conflicts, since we’ll
end up with the LTS Haskell versions of each package either way.  The
only unfortunate thing is the duplication of work.  I guess that’s hard
to avoid with a large, distributed, and disorganized group of
volunteers.  :)

>> Besides that, there are a few minor issues in the descriptions.  Mostly
>> incomplete sentences.  It’s not a big deal as they are easy enough to
>> fix at commit time.  However, if you are going to update the patches
>> anyway...  :)
>
> Got it, I'll update those as well.

Thanks!

-- Tim