Subject: bug#45: 23.0.60; Can't paste from files with .arc extensions

From: Brian Adkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:14:27 -0500

I discovered that I could not select text with the mouse and paste via 
middle-button click into a non-emacs window when the file in question 
had a .arc extension. Paul Graham's new Arc language uses .arc as an 
extension and this extension is associated with no-conversion in the 
auto-coding-alist variable as follows:

auto-coding-alist is a variable defined in `mule.el'.
Its value is
(("\\.\\(arc\\|zip\\|lzh\\|lha\\|zoo\\|[jew]ar\\|xpi\\|exe\\|rar\\|ARC\\|ZIP\\|LZH\\|LHA\\|ZOO\\|[JEW]AR\\|XPI\\|EXE\\|RAR\\)\\'" 
. no-conversion)
  ("\\.\\(sx[dmicw]\\|odt\\|tar\\|tgz\\)\\'" . no-conversion)
  ("\\.\\(gz\\|Z\\|bz\\|bz2\\|gpg\\)\\'" . no-conversion)
  ("\\.\\(jpe?g\\|png\\|gif\\|tiff?\\|p[bpgn]m\\)\\'" . no-conversion)
  ("\\.pdf\\'" . no-conversion)
  ("/#[^/]+#\\'" . emacs-mule))

I am able to fix the problem by removing arc from the auto-coding-alist, 
but someone on gnu.emacs.help suggested I should file a bug report 
regarding this behavior.

Thanks,
Brian Adkins

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0)
  of 2008-02-06 on airstream
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10300000
configured using `configure  '--enable-font-backend' '--with-gif=no''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t