Subject: bug#44992: closed (Re: bug#44992: Use of uninitialized value $macro in exists at /usr/bin/automake line 5268, <GEN0> line 1)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 01:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44992: Use of uninitialized value $macro in exists at /usr/bin/automake line 5268, <GEN0> line 1

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44992: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44992
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44992: Use of uninitialized value $macro in exists at /usr/bin/automake line 5268, <GEN0> line 1
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 18:56:21 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for the report, but:

    running: automake -a
    Use of uninitialized value $macro in exists at /usr/bin/automake line 5268,
    ...
    automake         noarch  1.16.2-3.fc34

When I try your repo with our unchanged automake-1.16.3 release on
ftp.gnu.org (recently made), I do not get the warning you did (or
any). It all worked fine, surprisingly enough.

Also, I don't think any of the changes between 1.16.2 and 1.16.3 would
have touched this area.

So, maybe something to report to the Fedora automake maintainers. I'm
closing the bug here, but feel free to send more info if desired.

Thanks,
Karl

Subject: Use of uninitialized value $macro in exists at /usr/bin/automake line 5268, <GEN0> line 1
From: Łukasz "HaRRy[LP]" S. <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 16:12:55 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I've got:
```
running: automake -a
Use of uninitialized value $macro in exists at /usr/bin/automake line 5268,
<GEN0> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value $macro in concatenation (.) or string at
/usr/bin/automake line 5268, <GEN0> line 1.
automake: error: unrequested trace ''
automake: Please contact <[email-masked]>.
 at /usr/share/automake-1.16/Automake/Channels.pm line 662, <GEN0> line 1.
      Automake::Channels::msg("automake", "", "unrequested trace ''")
called at /usr/share/automake-1.16/Automake/ChannelDefs.pm line 212
      Automake::ChannelDefs::prog_error("unrequested trace ''") called at
/usr/bin/automake line 5268
      Automake::scan_autoconf_traces("configure.ac") called at
/usr/bin/automake line 5527
      Automake::scan_autoconf_files() called at /usr/bin/automake line 8355
```

[As you can also see in my CI log:
https://github.com/pmem/pmemkv/runs/1477402876?check_suite_focus=true#step:4:1997
]

Steps to reproduce was as follows:
```
git clone https://github.com/pmem/valgrind.git  (but tested also with
non-forked, original repo: git clone git://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git)
cd valgrind
./autogen.sh
```
[this is a test step of my CI:
https://github.com/pmem/pmemkv/blob/master/utils/docker/images/install-valgrind.sh#L31
)

Environment:
Fedora rawhide
autoconf           noarch  2.69-34.fc33
automake         noarch  1.16.2-3.fc34