Subject: bug#44976: 28.0.50; bibtex.el does not consider biblatex field name aliases

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 16:50:11 -0600

On Sun Dec 13 2020 Roland Winkler wrote:
> On Thu Dec 3 2020 [email-masked] wrote:
> > Do you have time to commit a fix for the aliases and possibly add
> > the negative/positive distinction of ALTERNATIVEs?
> 
> Thanks for the clarifications.  I should have a draft of this soon.

I have installed a patch for this
(commit aac17c9dca21462df57367123301b7c940f9243a).

In the end, the patch was significantly more substantial than what I
had expected to make it work with the code for validating entries.
Please, test it and let me know how it works for you.

Please, see also the "FIXME" in the new function
bibtex--skip-field-aliases.  I am not yet entirely happy with the
new code.  But I do not know either how it works in real life.
Maybe my concerns are not justified.  (As I said, I only use
old-fashioned BibTeX.  Therefore, I am not familar with what
biblatex users might like to do.)

Also, I have not yet decided how the new behavior should possibly be
advertised in etc/NEWS.  As I said in the FIXME, most of the changes
are under the hood.  In that sense, I am not sure how much this
should possibly be advertised.