Subject: Re: bug#44973: Add a macOS global hotkey function

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 21:39:41 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> MacOS makes it very difficult to assign global hotkeys to focus
> Emacs. For example, if I'm in another program, and I want to
> launch/focus Emacs with "Alt-SPC", it can't just be set in the system
> preferences; I'd need to use a 3rd-party program like skhd.
>
> Would it be possible to add a function or hook to Emacs which registers one or
> more global hotkeys (using addGlobalMonitorForEventsMatchingMask), and then
> when the hotkey is pressed, run an elisp function?

[...]

> Even if it's rare for Emacs to implement an OS-specific feature, there
> is some precedent on Windows. If you look at w32-register-hot-keys,
> it's similar to, but different from my request.

Sure, I think that makes sense.  Would it be possible for you to work up
a patch that adds this functionality?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no