Subject: Re: bug#44973: Add a macOS global hotkey function

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 00:15:20 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

You and Eli gave two analyses of the nature of this change:

Eli:

  > w32-register-hot-key allows a consistent UX across platforms
  > _inside_Emacs_.  Your changes, AFAIU, aims at using Emacs as a way to
  > work around problems in the OS WM, not in Emacs running on that OS.

Lars:

  > Since this brings up the Macos version of Emacs into feature parity with
  > what you can do in GNU/Linux and Windows,

If Lars is right, it is ok to install.  If Eli is right, it should not
be installed.

So it's a matter of which of those two is right.  I have no idea.
But you can compare notes and figure out.

Is it possible that, in some way, both are right?  If so, this is a
strange situation and worth deeper study.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)