Subject: bug#44963: closed (Re: bug#44963: 28.0.50; tramp over scp: text is read only on some apparently random lines)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 10:10:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44963: 28.0.50; tramp over scp: text is read only on some apparently random lines

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44963: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44963
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44963: 28.0.50; tramp over scp: text is read only on some apparently random lines
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 11:08:57 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jean,

>> Sorry, I don't understand. What do you intend to edit? The directory
>> buffer? Files in that directory?
>
> I cannot reproduce it. I was using emacs -Q to edit files over Tramp
> and now I am sorry I cannot reproduce it. I know that I placed ~ on
> the end of the file to test different functionaliy to try deleting it,
> related to old bug. Then I removed ~ and after few moments of testing
> some lines I could not delete.

So I'm closing this. Feel free to come back if it happens to you, again.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 28.0.50; tramp over scp: text is read only on some apparently random lines
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 19:09:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have noticed that I cannot edit remote files easily with {C-x C-q} as
when doing it remotely, apparently random lines become read-only, then
from those lines below I can edit .vim line but not .viminfo and none of
the subsequent lines. There is no visible pattern to me why I cannot
edit files in Dired over Tramp scp/ssh

Here below I could edit first line and directory smos.cs-syd.ue but the
  second line smos.tar.gz is read only and then all 
  drwxr-xr-x 12 admin admin      4096 Nov 26 23:12 smos.cs-syd.eu
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin    247856 Nov 26 23:22 smos.tar.gz
  drwx------  2 admin admin      4096 Nov 27 00:23 .ssh
  drwxr-xr-x  3 admin admin      4096 Nov 24  2016 .subversion
  drwxr-xr-x  3 admin admin      4096 Sep 15 19:03 sync
  drwx------  3 admin admin      4096 Sep 26 22:46 .telegram-cli
  drwxr-xr-t  2 admin admin      4096 Oct 24 22:25 tmp
  -rw-------  1 root  root   26136504 Oct 20  2019 VID_20190324_103021.3gp
  drwxr-xr-x  2 admin admin      4096 Feb 18  2016 .vim
  -rw-------  1 admin admin     12853 Jun 10  2018 .viminfo
  drwx------  2 admin admin      4096 Jan 19  2016 .w3m
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin       631 Oct 31 03:35 .wget-hsts
  -rw-------  1 admin admin        73 Sep 15 18:55 .Xauthority
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin     47700 Nov  5 04:09 .zcompdump
  -rw-------  1 admin admin        36 Nov  5 04:10 .zsh_history
  -rw-r--r--  1 admin admin      1335 Jan 16  2016 .zshrc

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-11-25 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 30c437752df0a3a9410f1249fa0f237110811af2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs --with-modules
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Editable Dired

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap wdired
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs
cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 78324 6392)
 (symbols 48 9011 1)
 (strings 32 27963 1766)
 (string-bytes 1 986898)
 (vectors 16 14451)
 (vector-slots 8 203624 13657)
 (floats 8 47 14)
 (intervals 56 1615 0)
 (buffers 984 14))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis
⎔ λ 🄯 𝍄 𝌡 𝌚