Subject: lsof: LTlock test consistently fails (possibly due to btrfs)

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 16:02:47 -0500

In the 'lsof' test suite, the 'LTlock' test consistently fails on my
system, possibly related to the fact that I use 'btrfs' for my local
filesystems.  Here's the relevant build log excerpt:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Optional tests:
LTbigf ... OK
LTdnlc ... /tmp/guix-build-lsof-4.94.0.drv-0/lsof-4.94.0-checkout/tests found: 100.00%
           OK
LTlock ... lock mismatch: expected W, got " "
           lock mismatch: expected R, got " "
           lock mismatch: expected w, got " "
           lock mismatch: expected r, got " "
Failed tests: 1

make: *** [Makefile:118: opt] Error 1
command "make" "standard" "optional" failed with status 2
note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-lsof-4.94.0.drv-0'
builder for `/gnu/store/cgkl1prkfmaz7b7j37xlzyhh8nhqkdyw-lsof-4.94.0.drv' failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/cgkl1prkfmaz7b7j37xlzyhh8nhqkdyw-lsof-4.94.0.drv failed
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The following commit made this into a fatal build error, which I agree
is an improvement:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
commit 2bf502138c9c8cad945866061772fe0e1f4b7175
Author: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date:   Mon Nov 23 05:05:41 2020 +0100

  gnu: lsof: Make test failures fatal.
  
  * gnu/packages/lsof.scm (lsof)[source]: Add patch to make test suite
  failures stop the build.
  * gnu/packages/patches/lsof-fatal-test-failures.patch: New file.
  * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Previously, the same test failure occurred on my system with lsof-4.91,
but the failure was ignored and I didn't notice it until now.  Before
that, our lsof-4.89 package did not run the test suite, so I do not know
if it had the same bug.

     Mark