Subject: bug#44953: lsof: LTlock test consistently fails (possibly due to btrfs)

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:30:20 -0500

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the super quick response and for reproducing the bug.

> This looks like an upstream bug to me.

Agreed.

> Do you have time to file 
> one?  We're using the <https://github.com/lsof-org/lsof> upstream 
> since Victor Abell retired.

I have time, but there's another problem: it appears that I cannot file
a bug report on Github without first creating an account, which in turn
requires me to formally agree to their legal agreement.  Among other
things, it includes an indemnification clause, meaning that I would have
to promise to pay their legal fees if some dispute arises involving me
and they decide to retain laywers to deal with it.  They also claim the
right to change the terms of the agreement at any time without notifying
me, and by continuing to use the service I would implicitly agree to
those new terms.

I refuse to sign that agreement, which means that I cannot file bug
reports on Github.  Oh well.

I don't actually care about 'lsof', except for the fact that our 'gnome'
package depends on it.  For now, I'll just disable the 'lsof' test suite
on my private branch.

> Alternatively we could disable this test in Guix ‘for now’ with a
> comment--but we both know how long it will remain unfixed.

Sounds fine to me, unless someone who has already has a Github account
wants to use it to file a bug.

  Thanks again,
      Mark