Subject: Re: bug#44941: 28.0.50; M-x grep, perhaps all asynch subprocesses

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 23:46:22 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > It still works for me as it ever did.  Maybe you didn't define a
  > search that runs for long enough?

Thes search was through 230 files with a total size of 1.2G.
So it was not that.

However, today I found what is responsible.
I am using a little script called cgrep, as follows.

   cgrep  -nH --null "From: .*ruben@" rms2*

The search got several hits in various files but they all came out at
once, just before exiting

I did he same command in an ordinary terminal shell, not under Emacs,
and the lines came out  without delay.

Here is the cgrep script:

#!/bin/bash

grep -a "$@" | cut -c -200

cut seems to be responsible for the problem by buffering output even to a tty.
So it is not Emacs's fault.

Please forgive the noise.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)