Subject: bug#44941: 28.0.50; M-x grep, perhaps all asynch subprocesses

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 00:22:20 -0500

When I use M-x grep through a lot of files, grep hits appear and
display all at once.  It used to be that hits in the first files
searched would appear earlier -- as soon as grep finds them, I expect
-- but I think Emacs doesn't notice that output from the subprocess any more.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30, cairo version 1.14.6)
 of 2020-06-18 built on freetop
Repository revision: fbf40c1d903d18286ecd7d2c1d7b117c88a1d5dd
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Etiona (9.0)

Recent messages:
next-line: End of buffer
Quit
Auto-saving...done
Sending...
Wrote /home/rms/outgoing/out-12
Sending...done
black 6 Black 0  white 0 White 0
Mark set [2 times]
Grep finished with no matches found [4 times]
M-RET is undefined

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g' --with-gnutls=no'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug etags fileloop generator xref project ispell
dired-aux shell pcomplete thingatpt grep compile comint ansi-color
ring misearch multi-isearch mule-util quail help-mode dabbrev
mailalias sendmail shr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util svg xml dom
rmailout rmailsum qp rmailmm message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231
rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils dired dired-loaddefs t-mouse term/linux view derived paren
cus-start cus-load advice finder-inf package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 436787 50618)
 (symbols 48 11528 1)
 (strings 32 44345 7084)
 (string-bytes 1 1184832)
 (vectors 16 25745)
 (vector-slots 8 642201 100732)
 (floats 8 56 269)
 (intervals 56 70799 524)
 (buffers 992 42)
 (heap 1024 23901 1816))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)