Subject: bug#44933: 27.1; Ephemeral frame selection shrinks minibuffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:47:06 +0100

> Hmm, it seems to show up on the web site:
 > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44933#35. Maybe it is
 > getting filtered out somewhere due to size or file extension or
 > something?

The attachment shows up in the source text but Thunderbird refuses to
mention or show it here.  Emacs has also problems showing it, some lines
are over 4000 characters wide.  I have no idea what makes these
backtraces behave so unbridled.  Maybe setting `backtrace-line-length'
to something like 80 would help.

Now the basic problem is that I can see only one
'window--resize-root-window-vertically' call and I'd like to see at
least the one where that minibuffer window was enlarged before.  So
please try to either set `backtrace-line-length' or do not call
'backtrace' at all when logging and in
'window--resize-root-window-vertically' just before it says

;; Return the possibly adjusted DELTA.

add a line putting into the log the values of 'delta' and 'pixel-delta'
and in 'window--resize-mini-window' just before it says

       (unless (zerop delta)

add a line putting into the log the value of 'delta'.  Maybe then we can
tell more.

BTW from

   window--resize-root-window-vertically(#<window 3 on *redisplay-minibuffer-log*> 70 t)

I conclude that the minibuffer window that gets resized is on a frame
with only one other window - the one showing *redisplay-minibuffer-log*
- right?

Thanks, martin