Subject: bug#44929: 28.0.50; Info-next-reference skips next reference

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 21:44:19 +0200

> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 20:21:50 +0100
> 
> 0. emacs -Q
> 1. C-h r (if emacs is installed, otherwise `C-u h i /path/to/emacs.info
>    RET')
> 2. Repeat `C-n' until the cursor is on the '*' before the first menu
>    item 'Distrib'.
> 3. Type TAB
> => The cursor jumps over 'Distrib' and goes to the second menu item
>    'Intro'.
> 
> The same thing happens if the cursor is on the space between '*' and
> 'Distrib' and you then press TAB.  In both cases, I expected the cursor
> to go to the immediately following link instead of skipping it.

AFAIU, your expectation is wrong: TAB runs the command
Info-next-reference, where the "next" part means "not the current
one".  For the "current" reference, press RET.

The stand-alone Info reader behaves the same.  So this is not a bug,
and I don't think we can change that in Emacs, even if we'd agree with
you (and I don't think I do).

Thanks.