Subject: bug#44911: 28.0.50; defcustom with :local t doesn't set the variable

From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 16:54:08 -0500

(progn (defcustom myvar 1
         "Disc."
         :local t)
       myvar)

returns nil, but I expect it to return 1.

(progn (defcustom myvar2 1
         "Disc.")
       myvar2)

returns 1.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H2))
of 2020-10-28 built on Brown
Repository revision: 8c96c720fa5ee67b902778199ee35991779300dc
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.0.1

Configured using:
'configure --with-modules --with-pdumper=yes --with-ns
'CFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include/gcc10 -I/opt/local/include/libxml2'
'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib/gcc10 -I/opt/local/include/gcc10'
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/zlib/1.2.8/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
PNG RSVG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_CN.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x help-fns
radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode easymenu find-func
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 55557 8683)
(symbols 48 7073 1)
(strings 32 19239 2275)
(string-bytes 1 631084)
(vectors 16 12287)
(vector-slots 8 170512 11180)
(floats 8 24 40)
(intervals 56 300 0)
(buffers 992 12))