Subject: bug#44894: closed (Re: bug#44894: Highly related line number articles should mention each other)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 07:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44894: Highly related line number articles should mention each other

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44894: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44894
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44894: Highly related line number articles should mention each other
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:18:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
>  <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 05:15:15 +0800
> 
> (info "(emacs) Optional Mode Line") says
> 
>       The current line number of point appears in the mode line when Line
>    Number mode is enabled.  Use the command ‘M-x line-number-mode’ to turn
>    this mode on and off; normally it is on.  The line number appears after
>    the buffer percentage POS, with the letter ‘L’ to indicate what it is.
> 
> (info "(emacs) Display Custom")
> 
>       If you want to have Emacs display line numbers for every line in the
>    buffer, customize the buffer-local variable ‘display-line-numbers’; it
>    is ‘nil’ by default.  This variable can have several different values to
>    support various modes of line-number display:
> 
> OK, but each should also mention
> 
>    By the way, see also ...
> 
> referring to the other!

They are unrelated features, although the use the same words.

Closing.

Subject: Highly related line number articles should mention each other
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 05:15:15 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(info "(emacs) Optional Mode Line") says

      The current line number of point appears in the mode line when Line
   Number mode is enabled.  Use the command ‘M-x line-number-mode’ to turn
   this mode on and off; normally it is on.  The line number appears after
   the buffer percentage POS, with the letter ‘L’ to indicate what it is.

(info "(emacs) Display Custom")

      If you want to have Emacs display line numbers for every line in the
   buffer, customize the buffer-local variable ‘display-line-numbers’; it
   is ‘nil’ by default.  This variable can have several different values to
   support various modes of line-number display:

OK, but each should also mention

   By the way, see also ...

referring to the other!

emacs-version "27.1"