Subject: Re: bug#44891: Chromium does not start

From: raingloom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 04:41:11 +0100

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:53:29 +0100
Andrea Rossi via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> after the installation of ungoogled-chromium I tried to run it,
> receiving this message:
> 
> [20998:20998:1126/122306.639343:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(117)]
> No usable sandbox! Update your kernel or see
> https://chromium.9oo91esource.qjz9zk/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux/suid_sandbox_development.md
> for more information on developing with the SUID sandbox. If you want
> to live dangerously and need an immediate workaround, you can try
> using --no-sandbox.
> 
> Maybe I'm missing something, or is the case of a proper bug?
> 
> Regards,

Saw a similar issue on Arch recently, my guess is that the sandbox
binary (I don't remember its name or path) is missing the execute
permission bit.
Not sure how to fix that on Guix, since modifying a store item is
generally a big no-no. You could maybe write a quick and dirty package
that takes ungoogled-chromium as its only input, copies it (or just
creates symlinks?), and runs chmod +x on the sandbox binary.
That way you don't have to recompile the whole package.