Subject: bug#44891: Chromium does not start

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:40:40 +0100

Hi raingloom,

raingloom <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:53:29 +0100
> Andrea Rossi via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]

>> [20998:20998:1126/122306.639343:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(117)]
>> No usable sandbox! Update your kernel or see
>> https://chromium.9oo91esource.qjz9zk/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux/suid_sandbox_development.md
>> for more information on developing with the SUID sandbox. If you want
>> to live dangerously and need an immediate workaround, you can try
>> using --no-sandbox.

[...]

> Saw a similar issue on Arch recently, my guess is that the sandbox
> binary (I don't remember its name or path) is missing the execute
> permission bit.

As reported in my previous reply to Andrea, AFAIU (thanks Marius Bakke)
Chromium can use two methods to start the sandbox:

1. use the SUID binary
2. use user namespaces

AFAIU the second is better and anyway it's the method used by Guix
ungoogled-chromium

> Not sure how to fix that on Guix, since modifying a store item is
> generally a big no-no. You could maybe write a quick and dirty package
> that takes ungoogled-chromium as its only input, copies it (or just
> creates symlinks?), and runs chmod +x on the sandbox binary.
> That way you don't have to recompile the whole package.

Non need for all this :-D

Thanks, Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures