Subject: Re: bug#44872: Installer crash: 'uuid->string' is passed #f in lieu of a UUID

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 18:53:12 +0200

Hey,

> It seems that for some reason the installer has automatically picked a
> mount point of `/boot/efi' for `/dev/sda2' in addition to the mount
> points on my actual hard drive.  I now see an error dialog saying that
> it can't retrieve the UUID of /dev/sda2 when I try to proceed past the
> partitioning page.  If I clear the mount point for /dev/sda2, I am now
> able to proceed to the page to with the generated system configuration!

Oh, I understand! The installation device is not detected by the
non-install-devices procedure, as it often happens. Hence, the
create-special-user-partitions finds two ESP partitions. The one on your
main hard drive and the one on the installation ISO.

Reading the UUID of the ESP partition of the installation ISO returns
false, not sure why, but this is not the central issue.

I improved the install device detection with
154a4e046281c28e39b5016e965d3d937a2ea4a1 by removing the device with the
default Guix System image ISO label.

This is quite fragile and if someone has a better idea, please feel free
to share it :). In the meantime, it should completely fix your issue.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Mathieu