Subject: Re: bug#44861: 27.1; [PATCH] signal in `replace-regexp-in-string'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:41:32 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 05:43:29 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], Shigeru Fukaya <[email-masked]>
> 
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > But I wonder -- would it make sense to move the entire
> > replace-regexp-in-string function to C?
> 
> Before we undertake any major changes in that direction, perhaps we
> should benchmark the relevant functions on the native-comp branch?  It
> changes the benchmarks by quite a lot in some cases.

Benchmarking is always welcome, but I don't think we should dismiss
performance improvements by assuming everyone will use the
natively-compiled Lisp code VSN.  I'm quite sure *.elc files will be
used in the observable future by many people.  I also expect C code to
run faster than natively-compiled Lisp, when significant
implementation changes, such as those suggested by Mattias, are
involved.