Subject: bug#44858: [PATCH] Make byte-compiler warn about wide docstrings

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 14:36:33 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm assuming we don't want to push this without fixing those warnings,
>> so I would really appreciate some help with the remaining couple of
>> warnings.
>
> Please show those problematic doc strings, and I will try to fix them.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.  Please see the below list that should be
easy to just put in a compilation-mode buffer.

gnus/deuglify.el:252:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `gnus-outlook-deuglify-unwrap-stop-chars' docstring wider than 80
    characters
gnus/deuglify.el:259:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `gnus-outlook-deuglify-no-wrap-chars' docstring wider than 80 characters
gnus/deuglify.el:265:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `gnus-outlook-deuglify-attrib-cut-regexp' docstring wider than 80
    characters
gnus/gnus.el:1529:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `gnus-group-charset-alist' docstring wider than 80 characters
gnus/nnvirtual.el:63:1: Warning: defvar `nnvirtual-mapping-table' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
gnus/nnvirtual.el:66:1: Warning: defvar `nnvirtual-mapping-offsets' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
gnus/nnvirtual.el:72:1: Warning: defvar `nnvirtual-mapping-reads' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
gnus/nnvirtual.el:75:1: Warning: defvar `nnvirtual-mapping-marks' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
gnus/nnvirtual.el:78:1: Warning: defvar `nnvirtual-info-installed' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
language/ethio-util.el:122:1: Warning: defvar `ethio-quote-vowel-always'
    docstring wider than 80 characters
language/ethio-util.el:127:1: Warning: defvar `ethio-W-sixth-always' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
mail/feedmail.el:624:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `feedmail-sendmail-f-doesnt-sell-me-out' docstring wider than 80
    characters
mh-e/mh-e.el:2827:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `mh-invisible-header-fields' docstring wider than 80 characters
mh-e/mh-e.el:2850:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `mh-invisible-header-fields-default' docstring wider than 80 characters
net/dbus.el:79:1: Warning: defconst `dbus-interface-peer' docstring wider than
    80 characters
net/dbus.el:91:1: Warning: defconst `dbus-interface-introspectable' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
net/dbus.el:102:1: Warning: defconst `dbus-interface-properties' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
net/dbus.el:128:1: Warning: defconst `dbus-interface-objectmanager' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
net/dbus.el:148:1: Warning: defconst `dbus-interface-monitoring' docstring
    wider than 80 characters
org/org-ctags.el:164:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `org-ctags-open-link-functions' docstring wider than 80 characters
org/org-protocol.el:166:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `org-protocol-project-alist' docstring wider than 80 characters
vc/ediff-init.el:556:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `ediff-before-flag-bol' docstring wider than 80 characters
vc/ediff-init.el:562:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `ediff-after-flag-eol' docstring wider than 80 characters
vc/ediff-init.el:568:1: Warning: custom-declare-variable
    `ediff-before-flag-mol' docstring wider than 80 characters
progmodes/cc-engine.el:183:1: Warning: defvar `c-vsemi-status-unknown-p-fn'
    docstring wider than 80 characters