Subject: bug#44858: [PATCH] Make byte-compiler warn about wide docstrings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 13:53:31 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem I saw was basically warnings
> about symbols only visible after macro expansion, and that warnings
> would point to entirely the wrong line and column.

Oh, OK, the problem was in the lines/column output, not with detecting
the doc strings themselves?

Yes, that sounds like a problem, but...  I think we can live with
inaccurate lines here.

>> Yes, the autogenerated docstrings should be fixed, too -- mostly by
>> running them through `fill-paragraph'.
>
> I tried that in e.g. define-derived-mode, but fill.el is loaded after
> derived.el.  So it seems like there is some fun to be had in figuring
> out the dependencies there...

Yeah, I guess fill.el is a pretty far down in the list of things that
loadup.el loads?

However, we could make a super-simple function for filling doc
strings -- doing something that's good enough for that particular task
shouldn't take more than a few lines.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no