Subject: Re: bug#44854: [PATCH] Add lexical-binding cookie to autoload files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 19:30:20 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 11:40:03 -0500
> 
> > emacs-devel and agree that this is our practical intention in the near
> > future.
> 
> I don't think anyone said "near future".
> 
> > Personally, it is not clear to me that we want to switch to
> > lexical-binding by default in Emacs 28.
> 
> I'm pretty sure noone suggested Emacs-28 for such a switch.
> Lars suggests Emacs-30, and to be honest this discussion is the first
> time I see an Emacs version attached to such an idea.  I myself hadn't
> even started to think about when that could happen (tho I clearly have
> thought about how to get there).

Then perhaps it isn't yet time to start putting the cookies into files
that don't need it, like the autoloads files?

> The first step will be to add a warning when a file doesn't come with an
> explicit `lexical-binding:` cookie.

That's an annoyance I think we should avoid.  It shouldn't be needed.
It's like having a warning for a problem that will take a long time to
get rid of.  Bad idea, IMO.