Subject: Re: bug#44854: [PATCH] Add lexical-binding cookie to autoload files

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 11:40:03 -0500

> emacs-devel and agree that this is our practical intention in the near
> future.

I don't think anyone said "near future".

> Personally, it is not clear to me that we want to switch to
> lexical-binding by default in Emacs 28.

I'm pretty sure noone suggested Emacs-28 for such a switch.
Lars suggests Emacs-30, and to be honest this discussion is the first
time I see an Emacs version attached to such an idea.  I myself hadn't
even started to think about when that could happen (tho I clearly have
thought about how to get there).

The first step will be to add a warning when a file doesn't come with an
explicit `lexical-binding:` cookie.

I hadn't thought about when this could be done, but yes, I guess this
could be done in Emacs-28 already, indeed.  If so, we should start by
adding `lexical-binding:nil` cookies to all the files we haven't
converted yet.

        Stefan