Subject: bug#44854: [PATCH] Add lexical-binding cookie to autoload files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 09:59:06 +0200

> From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 22:39:27 +0000
> 
> If adding a lexical-binding tag has no effect on the autoload files
> (other than making them a few bytes larger), then it should be of no
> consequence.

The additional code in autoload.el is such a consequence, if nothing
else.

> Adding the tag to the autoloads is not about needing code changes, but
> simply a marker that those files are ready for the flip-the-switch
> event.

They are already ready for the flip.

> However, by treating all .el files uniformly (including autoloads), it
> makes it easier to write scripts that check for lexical binding support
> in source files.

That is an advantage too small to justify the change.  Skipping files
that all match a simple wildcard pattern is easy.  We will always need
to skip some files anyway, for example .dir-locals.el.

It makes no sense to me, sorry.