Subject: bug#44850: 27.1; Emacs crash in font handling with font-backend ns

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 10:19:18 +0000

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:04:35AM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > It's bug#44349. It doesn't look like that bug report went anywhere.
> 
> Right; I've now merged these two bug reports.

I'm not convinced that bug report is related to the original report in
this bug report. One is in emacs string handling code, the other is in
macfont.m code.

I think there's a good chance that resolving the problem in the master
branch will just bring back the problem seen in Emacs 27.

> > We could easily replace that character, but I think it came along with
> > the NS port, so it's strange how it's only become an issue now.
> 
> Yup.  The default frame title is ASCII on other platforms, I think? 

The title crash should only occur when the frame is resizing, it's not
the default title. But yes, there's no good reason for it to be a
unicode character, but on the other hand there's seemingly no good
reason for it to have to be ascii either.
-- 
Alan Third